Chicken & Mushroom Pie

19:11 Unknown 1 Comments

I love pie but its always hard to know exactly what to put in a pie without spoiling it and doing it justice. Initially when I was making this pie I was hoping to make lasagne on the day but, my dad got chicken breast instead of mince meat from the butchers. I wanted to make something using what had been bought for the lasagne i.e. the chicken and the white dolmio sauce. My fridge was fully stocked so I had no worries in terms of what additional to add; for once I was stress free in the kitchen and didn't have to just make do. 
For those that know me well you'll know my crazy obsession with mushrooms. It's THE most amazing, delicious, yummiest thing in the whole entire world! I have even gone as far as eating it raw! I know I'm mad! But I love it and my obsession with it lead me to trying it raw. I wouldn't advise anyone to try it though LOL! You can imagine how much mushroom I added to my pie! Anywaysssss... I thought I have to add mushroom to my pie and I did. I also added peppers and sweetcorn, green pepper has a nice flavour to it and sweetcorn, well to be completely honest, I love sweetcorn and mushroom on a pizza so I thought to myself "well if they taste good together on a pizza they have got to taste good in a pie together too!" I really am random guys but all these random thoughts are what help me create these recipes so guys here it is; my chicken and mushroom pie.
Feeds 7-10 people

Ingredients
     - 3 Medium Onions
     - Sunflower Oil
     - 4 Pound (in weight) Chicken Breasts, cut in cubes
     - 2 Large Tomatoes, sliced and diced
     - Salt (to taste) 
     - Black Pepper (1 tsp)
     - Red Chilli Flakes (1 tsp)
     - Coriander Powder (2 1/2 tsp)
     - Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
     - Fresh Green Chillies (blended) (1 tsp, if you like it spicy you can add more)
     - Garlic Paste (2 tsp)
     - 1 Large Green Pepper, sliced and diced (optional)
     - 2 packs of Mushrooms, sliced in a thickly manner
     - Tin of Sweetcorn or frozen pack of sweetcorn (optional) 
     - 3/4 bottles of Dolmio White Sauce
     - Fresh Coriander, chopped
     - Puff Pastry Roll 
     - 1 Egg

Method:
     - Finely cut the 3 onions and add it to a pot with sunflower oil. Cook on a fast heat till the onions have softened and gone a pinky colour.
     - Add the chicken breasts in and cook till the chicken is white in colour and water burns off.
     - Keep it on fast heat and add:
          - Green Pepper (optional)
          - Mushrooms
          - Sweetcorn (optional)
     - Stir well and put on a medium to slow heat. 
     - Add the tomatoe to the mix and also add:
          - Salt
          - Black Pepper
          - Red Chilli Flakes 
          - Coriander Powder
          - Cumin Powder
          - Fresh Green Chillies (blended)
          - Blended Garlic.

(I have added the above in accordance to my taste buds so if you feel the need to add more or less then you can do so)

     - Stir well and cook for around 20/25 minutes with a lid on and on slow head. Ensure to occasionally stir.
     - Now add 3 bottles of Dolmio White Sauce, if you want it quite saucy add another bottle of the Dolmio white sauce.
     - Finally, add the chopped fresh coriander as garnish and let this cook for around 5-10 minutes and then switch off to cool.

     - Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 or 200 degrees
     - Once the filling has cooled roll out the puff pastry roll, use a bit of plain flour to roll it out if you struggle. Add the pie filling in a dish. 
     - Add the puff pastry roll on top of the filling and with a fork poke enough holes so that it cooks when we put it in the oven. 
     - Scramble the egg and brush it on top of of the pastry and once the oven has heated pop the pie in and cook for 25 minutes or till the pastry has risen and gone golden brown and cooked.

You can now serve :)

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. This chicken pie taste great! i absolutely loveeee chicken and its got variety of veggies which is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete