Desi Dhal (Lentils)

19:28 Unknown 4 Comments

My desi dhal my desi dhal dhal dhal dhal dhal!!! #desigirl #priyankachopra #dostana #ifyouknowyouknow LOL

Not a lot of people like dhal (lentils) which I personally feel is just so bizarre! However, it all comes down to how it's cooked and I think with dhal (lentils) you have to cook it with a lot of lurrrvveeee. I watched my mum make this once and I got put off straight away but I love food so I had to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it. When I did, I loved it and had the urge to cook it. Dhal tastes amazing in the winter with some rice (can also be served with chappati/roti) and it has a lot of benefits, believe it or not. As well as it being so quick and easy to cook, it's a brilliant source for fibre and also helps with giving you a energy boost by replenishing the iron stores in your body. I do suffer from anaemia myself and it's highly common for women, especially Asian women, to be low in iron. I genuinely feel after eating dhal I gain some energy. It's nice to be able to cook something quick and easy that's also highly beneficial and has so many health benefits, so why not give my desi dhal a go. Give it the benefit of the doubt.

Feeds 5

Ingredients:

     - 2 cups yellow split Lentils (moong dhal), washed and soaked in cold water
     - 1tbs Mustard seed
     - 1 large Onion finely sliced
     - Sunflower oil
     - 1 large Tomatoe, chopped
     - 3tsp Coriander Powder
     - 1/2tsp Turmeric
     - 1 & 1/2tsp Cumin Powder
     - 3 Fresh Green Chillies 
     - 
1 & 1/2tsp Blended Green Chillies (optional)

     - Salt (to taste)
     - 
2tsp Ginger/Garlic Paste 

     - 4 cups of Water
     - Fresh Coriander Chopped


Method:
     - Grab yourself a pot and on a medium heat add sunflower oil and the mustard seeds.

     - Stir continuously for a minute or so and then add the onions and the fresh green chillies.
     - Cook the onions, stirring as often as you can, till they have softened.
     - Once the onions have softened, put it on a completely slow heat and add the tomatoes. Allow this to cook for 10/15 minutes with a lid on.
     - Once the tomatoes have cooked, add in all the masalas and the ginger/garlic paste.

If you like spicy food you can add the blended green chillies too. 

    - Let this cook with a lid on for 10 minutes and then add 1 cup water and allow to cook for an additional 10 minutes. 

(I usually like to like my masala cook for atleast half an hour, stirring occasionally but this is down to my own personal preference as I like to really take my time)

     - Once the masala has cooked (and you're happy with the taste so far) add the lentils and the rest of the water; stir well. Keep on a slow heat and cook for 10/15 minutes, covered, till it becomes a dhal like texture and not so runny. If it appears to be quite thick and soggy in appearance then you can add more water. 

     - Finally garnish with fresh coriander and you can switch off and serve with either boiled white rice and chappti.

(Psssttt I also like having dhal with buttery toast why not give it a go?)

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

  1. Love it m gna try this ur way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goshhhhhh this looks delicous msh! I'm gonna get myself some yellow split lentils and cook this tomorrow :-O xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Let me know how it turns out!!! xxxxxxxx

      Delete