Soup Up - Szechuan chicken Soup

19:13 Unknown 1 Comments


For those that know me well you'll know I love a good soup, especially in the winter! It is the most desirable thing, be it if your down with a cold and poorly or just feeling peckish for something warm and light. I genuinely winged it with this recipe. Momma was ill with a nasty cold and wanted soup but at the same time wanted it to be hot and sour! Talk about cravings! I had no idea what I was doing, I was on my own in the kitchen and everytime I made soup I had her in the kitchen with me. This was when I was new to cooking and would always rely on mum! So I was completely left alone with  this! I rummaged through the cupboards to see what I could use, what I could work with and I saw Uncle Bens hot and sour szechuan soup sachets. I thought brilliant this will be easy. But then I started feeling experimental and I really wanted to create something unique and not merely rely on a sachet; when I get an idea I have to implement it. I used a bit of this and a bit of that and voila created a soup, which thankfully was up to my mums standards! So if you got a poorly mum and want her getting well soon why not try this soup and get the same reaction as mine, I promise it will be worthwhile. 

Ingredients:

     - Butter (tablespoon worth)
     - Olive Oil (2 tbsp)
     - Coriander Seeds (handful)
     - Chicken Breasts (cut in small to average pieces)
     - 1 Onion 
     - 3 / 4 Garlic Cloves
     - 3 / 4 Fresh Green Chillies
     - Fresh Coriander (a handful worth) 
     - Salt
     - Coriander Powder
     - Cumin Powder
     - 2 Sachet of Szechuan Hot & Sour Cup Soup (or whatever soup sachet you desire)
     - Soya Sauce (dark/light) 
     - Fresh Lemon

Method:

     - Put butter, olive oil and coriander seeds in a pot and stir till the butter has melted.
     - Add the chicken breast and cook on a medium to slow heat without a lid.
     - Now grab a blender and add:
              - 1 Onion
              - 3 Garlic Cloves
              - 3 Fresh Green Chillies
              - And Fresh Coriander
     - Blend together.
     - Add the blended mixture to the chicken and lets add:
              - 1tsp Salt 
              - 1tsp Coriander Powder
              - And 1tsp Cumin Powder
     - Keep it on fast heat and stir occasionally.
     - Cook until the soup comes to a boil and whilst that's happening lets prepare the soup sachet.
    - Grab the 2 Sachet of Szechuan Hot & Sour Cup Soup or your own choice and follow the instruction on the box.
     - Add the mixture to the soup and keep on a fast.
     - Slowly add more boiled water (optional, if you feel more water is required add more if not there is no need) and add 1 1/2tbsp Soya Sauce.
    - Now lets add some lemon juice to bring some more flavour to it, slice about a quarter of the lemon and squeeze the juice into the soup.
     - Keep it on a slow heat and leave to cook. I like to let my soup boil on a slow heat for a couple of hours but of course that's my own preference, if your really hungry you can serve as long as the chicken is cooked and the added masala is taste-able.
     - As a final touch add some cut fresh coriander leaves. Remember the longer you leave it to boil the better. Serve when your ready.

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. hmmmmm this soup is heaven, taste great when your ill, I love to have this soup when I have a cold makes me feel so much better! #natural remedy.

    ReplyDelete