Slow Cooked Spicy Lamb Curry AKA Lamb Ghosh

21:55 Unknown 0 Comments

Whenever I go to a wedding the one thing I look forward to is the lamb ghosh/curry. Nothing pleases me more than to eat a good, spicy, lamb curry. Everyone's style of lamb ghosh is different and I love how everyone's way of cooking it has its own originality, its own take, and its something I've always wanted to be able to achieve. My mum taught me my basic use of masalas and what each one was good at bringing out; what brought flavour, what brought spice, what brought that extra taste; that va va voom. I wanted to make sure when I attempted to make a lamb curry I would achieve all the above. One thing I've learnt is that the longer you leave something to cook the better and richer the flavour; especially with a curry. This saying has been taught in my family for generations all the way from India! So I had to implement it. I know it takes time to cook a curry but believe me this is worth it and the exciting thing is you get to experience the smell of the spice cooking bit by bit! 
This recipe is brilliant for large family gatherings, wedding parties or just to serve at home. I hope you guys enjoy cooking this as much as I did. 

Feeds 7

Ingredients:
     - 3lb Lamb shoulder (cut)
     - 3 Medium sized white onions - sliced
     - Sunflower oil 
     - 2 Cinnamon sticks 
     - 5 Cloves
     - 7 Peppercorns
     - 3 Cardamoms 
     - 1tsp Coriander seeds
     - 1 tin Blended chopped tomatoes 
     - 3tsp Ginger garlic paste
     - 1tsp Turmeric
     - 1 1/2tsp Cumin
     - 4tsp Coriander powder 
     - 1 1/2tsp Red chilli powder
     - 1/2tsp Curry powder
     - 1/2tsp Red chilli flakes
     - 1/2tsp Garam masala
     - 1tsp Blended green chillies 
     - Salt (to taste) 
     - 1tsp Tandoori powder
     - Fresh coriander leaves cut
     - 3tsp Lemon juice
     - Potatoes (optional) 

Method:
     - Finely slice the onions and cook in sunflower oil on a fast heat along with the coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns and cloves, until onions are golden brown.

     - Add the lamb meat and the ginger/garlic paste and stir well. Cover with a lid and put on a slow heat to cook for a good 30 minutes, occasionally stirring.

    - Add the blended tomato tin, stir well and leave to cook with the lid on on slow heat for an additional 10/15 minutes.

    - Add all the spices mentioned above and leave on slow heat with a lid on for 30/45 minutes, occasionally stirring.

     - Add 2 cup water (more if you like it soupy) and lemon juice to the lamb and leave to cook for 10 minutes on slow heat without a lid. If you don't like it soupy and want it to be more of a masala just add 1/2 cup water.


(Preference: If you want to add potatoes you can do, cut them into large chunks and add to the pot, once the potatoes are cooked you can switch off, garnish with fresh coriander and serve).

    - Finally garnish the curry with fresh coriander leaves and you can serve with a choice of naan bread, roti/chappati or brown rice.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: